Thursday, June 3, 2010

Super Maki


I just want to try to create blog. I dont have a particular topic to talk about. What do I like most? Well, I love cooking.. Specially if I have the budget.. I love playing Plants and Zombies.. I guess everyone knows this game. Let me just start with the last cooking adventure I had... How to make california maki...

I have numurous encounter with California Maki several years ago.. Not a good one.. During college days, two (Rommel and Francis) of my barkadas thought of eating at Tokyo in Robinson's Manila... We ordered the so famous Pork Tonkatsu, then Francis ordered 4-pc Maki.. It was our first time to eat on that resto... We got curious on the wasabi.. So, we tried eating it alone... I bet you know what happened... We almost died laughing.. Then finally, eating the Maki.. I really dont eat maki, I dont like its texture when its on my mouth but I was forced. After eating the rice-ball-like maki, I immediately drank my tea.. I was like a kid who forced their food to their stomach when their mom fed them.. Yikes!!

A few years laters, after my younger sister came home from Japan, we always eat at Tokyo Tokyo. Because she loves Japanese food and specially the Maki.. I really hate it.. Ewwww...

Then one day, I caught myself buying the food I hated at Tokyo Tokyo.. Ooopppsss... Its not for me! I bought it for the person who loves eating it.. As he prepared the sauce, I realized how fool we were years ago (not putting the wasabi on the sauce).. Hahahaha! Then he gave my very first Maki to me.. "Oh God! what I'm going to do", I thought that time.. But again, I dont have a choice.. I ate it and try to make bites of it... Trying to show him, I like it but I dont love it.. But as seconds pass-by...Hmmm.. And it tasted good.. Then I got one more.. And one more... After a while, I thought... Was it because of the sauce with wasaabi or was it because of the person who gave it to me.. Until now, I cant figure it out..

So much of the story.. Last saturday, that Guy taught me how to make Maki.. And I call it "Super Maki"

Ingredients needed:
Japanese Rice, Maki wrapper, Crab sticks, thin slices of mango and cucumber, cane vinegar, sugar, ebiko, Sushi Nori, wasabi

Materials needed:
Maki mat, cling wrap

Steps:
1. Cook the Japanese rice the usual way
2. Put a half cup cane vinegar to a bowl and add 4 tbsp of sugar
3. Boil the sugar/vinegar mix for 3 minutes then set it aside
** While waiting for the rice to be warm, prepare the following:
- Make thin slices of mango and cucumber (about 5mm thick)
- Slice the Crab stick to half
- Wrap the a cling wrap on the maki mat (so that the rice wont stick to the mat)
3. Put the warm rice on a bowl. Slowly pour the sugar/vinegare mixture into the rice bowl.
4. Place the Sushi Nori on top of the Maki Mat (coated with cling wrap).
5. Make a 3-mm-thick rice on top of the Sushi Nori
6. Turn the sushi nori upside down (rice facing the maki mat)
7. Put the mango strips 1 1/2 inch from the edge of the wrapper
8. Put the cucumber strips beside the mango strips
9. Put the crap sticks on top of the mango/cucumber
10. Roll the the mat slowly making the maki round.
11. Cover the roll with ebiko
This is how it looks like:

12. Cut the roll to make bite sizes (at least 1-inch thick)

Note: For the sauce, you can use any soy sauce, add some calamansi extract then add wasabi depends on your taste.

For people who don't eat Maki, better try it your self... Goodluck!

2 comments:

  1. teach me how to cook california maki ^__^ nag eenjoy din aq when I'm cooking ( love it! <3 ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. my pleasure!!! sabhn mo lng ako kung kelan mo gusto >.<

    ReplyDelete